David Mincica vintage slotcars collection - DMI/Elmodan info

Här diskuteras allt som har att göra med bilbaneracing på plast och träbanor med skalenliga bilar. Scalextric, Ninco, Slot.it, FLY m.fl.

Re: Dansk Modelflyve Industri - Elmodan

Inläggav slotcar7 09 maj 2010, 20:02

It's right.. :o ..for sure they're not elmodan but behco, but at this point, an even bigger question jumps to my mind? What's Behco? I tried to google it, writing "behco slot", "jouets behco", "behco plastique", etc..but nothing..is it something so rare?

iIcan see the quality is not so good, but..and how can i know for sure that it's an mrrc chassis? That one in the picture looks exactly like those ones in the cars..is that an mrrc?

But there's always an open question about the third one..it looks like a vanwall or brm (overall for the british racing green :D )..

But what's behco? What's behco.. :o
slotcar7
Mekaniker

Inläggav Ravajack 09 maj 2010, 23:28

Scalex skrev:I don´t think the two first cars are DMI/ Elmodan. I think they are homemade with French Behco bodies amd early MRRC chassies. But that´s just a guess form my side.
And a picture from the DMI/Elmodan Maserati set from 1963-64

Bild

Quite interesting magazine/book/brochure you've got there, Scalex. What is it? :-D=

And about the Behco bodies: What is the French connection? :-?

I've got some info pointing in a quite different direction... 8-)
En populär föreställning är att om man kedjar fast ett oändligt stort antal apor vid var sin skrivmaskin, så kommer någon av dem att prestera ett litterärt mästerverk. Internet har dock nu slutligen bevisat att så inte är fallet...
Användarvisningsbild
Ravajack
Veteranracer

Inläggav Scalex 10 maj 2010, 06:17

The book is "Allt om miniracing" by Jan Jangö from 1963. About Behco ......you mean the Swedish connection ?? I only think that was the trackparts. But i´m not 100% sure. Maybe you know more "Rava" ???
TDS
TUNA DEVILS SLOTRACING
Slotcollector av STORT format :-)
Användarvisningsbild
Scalex
Kartläsare

Klubb: Tuna Devils Slotracing

Inläggav Ravajack 11 maj 2010, 00:21

Scalex skrev:The book is "Allt om miniracing" by Jan Jangö from 1963.

Of course! :red: I've must have had a severe brain fart, as I've got a few copies of this old book in the shelf here behind me... :cuckoo: This pioneering feat by Mr Jangö is also a little infamous for being titled ”Part 1”, although there never was a ”Part 2”... :-P

And the ”French connection” with Behco is of course a reference in this old book, a paragraph in the chapter ”How to motorize a plastic body” on page 72 (in translation):
Jan Jangö skrev:”In scale 1:32 and 1:24 the home scratch builders have great opportunities to build-in motors and steering units, as there are a lot of excellent plastic kits in those scales. It is very common to use the french Merit kits in scale 1:24 or the french Behco kits in scale 1:32, providing them with motor chassis from Expert Racing, Behco, MRRC or VIP.”

This old reference is a bit odd, to say the least. I've got quite a few old Merit car kits from back in the day, with no indication that they should be of french origin as stated by Mr Jangö. Each and every old Merit kit I've got have instructions in english and clearly written ”Made in England” and manufactured by ”J&L Randall Ltd. Potters Bar.”

This Merit issue of course also leaves some doubt also about Behco and its ”French connection”. Is it really a french brand? According to this old book it is, but so is also the Merit brand according to the book — which is obviously quite wrong...

It's not easy today to trace down the origins of Merit on the web, and confirm that it actually was a british brand. You'll have to have physical access to an actual kit to make sure.

It's even harder to trace the elusive Behco and its alleged french origin. I've never seen this info anywhere else than in this old book, and the web today appears to contain zero connection between Behco and France. As our friend slotcar7 already have experienced...

What I have seen, and also remember, is the pioneering kind of slot racing track that showed up here in Sweden in the late 1950's. The Behco-track was marketed/manufactured by a veteran hobby enthusiast and slot racing pioneer named Bertil Beckman and his company, Bertil Beckman & Co. — hence Behco...

The first mention in Sweden of the new hobby, Model Car Racing, was in the bi-weekly mag ”Teknik för Alla”, in november 1958:

Bild

This is the very first article about the new hobby on swedish ground:
(Also compare with the content in this post... :D )

Bild

And Bertil Beckman & Co was right up there at the front from the very beginning:
See the ad in blue frame, bottom right on the page below.

Bild

In the next issue of the ”Teknik för Alla”, Stirling Moss and his wife demonstrates the new Scalextric slot car racing system. Bertil Beckman himself also writes an article on how to build a ”miniracer” from scratch, using parts that his company sells (see ad on second page below), including balsa wood for carving the body. Those were really pioneer days!

Bild

Bild

And in the last issue of ”Teknik för Alla” in 1958, the Christmas issue, the new hobby already appears to be a huge success:

Bild

And in this issue is also the very first mention of BEHCO (red frame below left).

Bild

As can be seen in the ad, the two first available Behco bodies are Mercedes and Vanwall. Strangely, these two models aren't even mentioned when the crude Behco bodies are presented in the Jan Jangö book several years later...

Bild

Finally, another little tidbit to tease (or please) slotcar7, and connect to the original topic of this thread:

Bild
En populär föreställning är att om man kedjar fast ett oändligt stort antal apor vid var sin skrivmaskin, så kommer någon av dem att prestera ett litterärt mästerverk. Internet har dock nu slutligen bevisat att så inte är fallet...
Användarvisningsbild
Ravajack
Veteranracer

Inläggav Harry Lime 11 maj 2010, 01:05

Detta är kulturhistoria !
Tackar, mycket underhållande att läsa.
Ännu en gång tack, det var bra förr.
Harry
Harry Lime
Depåman

Inläggav Scalex 11 maj 2010, 06:14

Bara att lyfta på hatten "Rava" :thumb: Dina kunskaper är fantastiska. Och ÄNTLIGEN fick jag svaret på vad jag har i min gamla låda :) Balsabilen............ Känns som den skulle vara rätt udda idag. Blir att jaga fram ett nummer T.f.a från 1958 nu då.
TDS
TUNA DEVILS SLOTRACING
Användarvisningsbild
Scalex
Kartläsare

Inläggav Lasse1930 11 maj 2010, 09:19

Scalex skrev:Och ÄNTLIGEN fick jag svaret på vad jag har i min gamla låda :) Balsabilen............ Känns som den skulle vara rätt udda idag.

Samma här! Bitarna faller på plats, frågetecknen rätas ut! Nu skall vi renovera Balsabilar, Scalex; och sen kör vi ett veteranernas veteranlopp. Eller din kanske är körklar?
To finish first, you must first finish!
Användarvisningsbild
Lasse1930
Testförare

Klubb: Tjockhult Racing Society

Inläggav Jormungandr 11 maj 2010, 10:09

Scalex skrev:...and....
Bild

....voala....
Bild

Ledsen Lasse, jag tvivlar på att denna kommer att byggas... den är mint in box och helt obyggd/okarvad ;) Ett stycke museum bara i sig :D undrar hur många obyggda som kan finnas kvar? men man kan kanske hitta någon som redan är byggd att fixa till/köra med?
>:-D TDS
TUNA DEVILS SLOTRACING
Tonfisk jävlars spårrejsing
Användarvisningsbild
Jormungandr
Testförare

Inläggav Ravajack 11 maj 2010, 13:19

The observant reader of the previous posting about the early days of ”miniracing” in Sweden may have noticed a gap in the reports, between the issues #23, #24 & #26 of the 1958 ”Teknik för Alla” magazine. Here is the completing issue #25, building the track, with both pioneers behind the Bertil Beckman & Co early model car racing enterprise: Erik Smedberg and Bertil Beckman in typical craftsman attire from the time — white collar shirt, pullover and a proper tie...

Bild

Bild

Here's also TfA 1959 #1, and the continued story about finishing the balsa wood racer from the TfA issue 1958 #24. In this issue we also get acquainted with a third swedish model car racing pioneer, Rune Fredholm in Bromma. Also he will eventually end up with an enterprising hobby business of his own, Expert Racing, selling cars, parts and kits for this new and fascinating pastime. But that's still a couple of months in the future...

Bild

Bild

Oh, and I almost forgot:

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Scalex (maybe also Lasse1930...?) for the possession of this true piece of real model car racing history, not only from a swedish perspective,
but also in a broader scale with a world wide horizon:

The original & vintage Bertil Beckman & Co Balsa Wood Maserati car kit. A real gem! :thumb:

Of course we all now also wants to see this rare old kit built up to a finished car. :-D=

And there's no excuses, as you've now seen all the articles in the early TfA mags with tips and tricks on how to proceed and do it! :beer: :thumb: :D
Användarvisningsbild
Ravajack
Veteranracer

Inläggav Scalex 11 maj 2010, 15:48

Yeah , i´m start carving the balsawood car tonight :w00t: ......NOT :D
TDS
TUNA DEVILS SLOTRACING
Användarvisningsbild
Scalex
Kartläsare

Inläggav slotcar7 11 maj 2010, 17:40

Hi guys..so, for what i've understood so far from yours encyclopedic knowledge :thumb: , the behco was a swedish brand, that used british engines, right?
And how many of these cars, like those ones i've bought, do you know still in existence or do you suppose so?Because i see just vintage pictures..

But, please, i ask you to test again your knowledge giving me an answer to the third car in the picture..because the seller has also sold me outside tradera another car similar to the green but in red this time, forming in that way a couple that could run on some kind of track..actually, from the pictures you posted about those vintage slot cars tracks, i have the sensation that, because of the driver inside the cockpit, these cars could be elmodan, actually, but because they can't rotate the wheels, and also for a different underpan, maybe they're not.. :-? ..come on boys, i rely on you..

Ah, i show you my last shopping, yesterday on ebay france: http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWNX:IT

I already had another set like this one and another one, even bigger, with cars and trotters..i really like gege brand, because from the box art you can almost smell the sweet atmosphere of the France of the sixties..don't you agree.. :D ?

david
slotcar7
Mekaniker

Inläggav Stirling Moss 12 maj 2010, 13:21

The Becho track was made by wood, masonite, it was sold in smal modules.
After you have built the track you had to put on aluminum tape for each lane ( I guess you had to paint the surface yourself also )
It is described in a swedish yearbook for model hobbies in the early sixties " HOBBYBOKEN" I do not remember from what year ( I have the book but not at the place I am right now )

Moss
Användarvisningsbild
Stirling Moss
Kartläsare

Inläggav slotcar7 12 maj 2010, 16:28

Hi guys, two things, if possible..

1-Can some of you sell me the book from where you're taking all these pieces of information about DMI, Behco, etc..? Or, if it's not possible, maybe scanning it, or photo copying..i can pay, don't worry.. :-D=

2-Can someone of yours explain me why everything about Faller Club Racing 1/24 is so expensive? Is it something so rare, or what?

Sorry for my questions, but i know there are around many intellectuals in this forum :D ..me, i'm still learning about the slot cars world: i started my collection less than one year ago.. :)

cheers, david
slotcar7
Mekaniker

Inläggav slotcar7 12 maj 2010, 17:54

Hi guys, i'm trying to upload some pictures of my collection (someone asked me to do so.. :) )..these are between the latest stuff i bought, hope you enjoy.. 8-)
http://s968.photobucket.com/albums/ae16 ... g&newest=1
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild
slotcar7
Mekaniker

Inläggav NMI 13 maj 2010, 11:37

Stirling Moss skrev:It is described in a swedish yearbook for model hobbies in the early sixties " HOBBYBOKEN" I do not remember from what year ( I have the book but not at the place I am right now )
Moss

Maybe it was the 1964 issue?

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

I really like the "Le Mans" picture, but why are the cars going the wrong way? :-? :D
Crowd was roaring, I was at Brands Hatch in my imagination
At the canal turn I hit an oily patch ... Inebriation
Användarvisningsbild
NMI
Depåman

Klubb: Malmö slotracing club

FöregåendeNästa

Återgå till Bilbana & allmänt